The following is a series of lessons which I developed and presented.
- OBSTACLES CREATE OPPORTUNITIES
- The purpose of this lesson was for students to identify their English language learning challenges and list ways to improve in these areas. At the end of the lesson, the students were able to write at least four sentences in reference to their language learning goals, obstacles and strategies to complete their goals. In addition to writing the sentences, the students were able to identify various grammatical structures.
- THE ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF WRITING
- The purpose of this lesson was for students to identify and use conjunctions by participating in multiple interactive activities. At the end of the lesson, the students were able to create their own five sentence script for an English language school promotional commercial and incorporate prepositions and conjunctions throughout the text.
- TECHNOLOGY AS A TEACHING TOOL
- The purpose of this lesson was for students to incorporate the grammatical structures from the previous lessons in order to create and record a one minute commercial promoting their ideal English language school. At the end of the lesson, the students watched and assessed each other’s recorded commercials.
- COMMUNICATION IS KEY
- The purpose of this lesson was for students to define and utilize vocabulary from the previous lessons in order to create and present a short dialogue. The students participated in various interactive speaking activities in order to prepare for their dialogues. At the end of the lesson, the students shared a dialogue based on the transcripts from the English commercials which were presented in the previous lesson.
- SAY WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND
- The purpose of this lesson was for students to practice using the present unreal conditional or conditional type 2 while exploring and utilizing various vocabulary. The students brainstormed and worked in collaborative teams to analyze information about current ethical dilemmas within the global arena. In addition to engaging in a discussion, the students listened to a clip from an authentic news source. At the end of the lesson, each group contributed an oral response as well as a written summary of their thoughts.
The communicative theory is the central focus of all of my lessons; in addition, I strive to engage each learner and appeal to their learning preferences. Students have a higher chance of retaining the language if they are taught in a manner that appeals to all learning styles. My instructional approach is molded in a manner which meets the needs of the students and delivers a lesson with the appropriate level of scaffolding, modeling and language input. I am not only focused on achieving the classroom objective, but also concerned with enhancing students’ critical thinking and problem solving skills in order to help them retain the target language. I believe this environment is fostered due to a creative and engaging lesson which encourages students to practice and improve their skills in the target language.